Step 1. Cut a strip of fabric. The size will depend on the size you want your rose to be. This strip was about 1.5 inches wide and maybe 6 or 7 inches long.

Step 2. Pick one end of the fabric and start twisting it around itself like in the image.

Step 3. Once you get the entire strip twisted up, you can stick a couple of pins through the whole thing to help hold it together through the next couple of steps.

Step 4. Trim off the extra fabric in the middle, if you have any.

Step5. Pick a spot on the back of the rose and tie a knot. You can start from the middle or the outside, whichever works best for you. You're going to do some simple stitching all the way around the spiral (the green line). This will let the rose keep it's shape. Don't worry about it being perfect. I think this flower looks better when it's a little messy.

Step 6. When you're done with the stitching tie off the string and cut the loose threads. Or you can sew on a bead or some felt leaves to give it that finishing touch, like this other one I made earlier. If the back of the rose isn't so pretty, you can give it some backing by cutting out a circle of felt and glueing the rose onto it.
This is really neat and would look good attached to an accessory belt to a summer dress! Great job!
ReplyDeleteYAY you have a blog!! Now that we both have blogs we can at least semi-keep up with each others lives. At least your art life, and my life when anything worth posting a blog about happens :). And I'm excited to try your amazing art projects, when I get a chance to breathe (aka when I graduate). (sigh) I need to come to Orlando very soon....
ReplyDeleteAlso, you have awesome fabric. Jealous.